NextWave Partners has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Technical Manager to join a unique investor focusing on delivering renewable energy projects across Africa. The Technical Manager will be the will work closely with the Investment Principals as the Technical Subject Matter expert on a variety of solar, wind, hydro and geothermal projects to be delivered across the African continent.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist in expanding the investor's project development network to source opportunities.
- Support the investment team in assessment of opportunities, specifically from a technical point of view.
- Support the investment team in preparing approval papers for the Investment Committee
- In close cooperation with the Chief Technical Officer, ensure best practices in project development and management are implemented across all investor projects.
- In close cooperation with the investor's partners, attract, contract and manage external consultants during the development and construction of a project
- Perform due diligence on projects with advisors, partners or firm colleagues to determine the viability for investor participation in projects.
- Project manage multiple projects in various jurisdictions with different Lead Developers.
- Assess, define interrogate project development budgets and programmes.
- Develop sound relationships with key project stakeholders at the national, local and utility levels, plus with project sponsors and shareholders.
- Lead the risk management and mitigation, specifically for technical aspects.
- Support or prepare ToR for service providers & advisors.
- Support or Identification, appointment and management of service providers & advisors.
- Together with the Lead Developer ensure that advisor inputs are sound and reflect all party comments accurately
- Manage and guide the Project Technical advisor on all technical matters
- Interrogate, scrutinize and assess the resource measurement[s] and assumptions and ensure with the Lead Developer, that a robust resource assessment forms the basis of the project final layout and production estimates.
- Support or lead commercial, technical, financial, legal and contractual work streams as agreed between investor and the Lead Developer and where appropriate with the support of firm staff, advisers and partners
- Supervise and guide the correct bid preparation, tender and evaluation process for EPC contractor[s], OEM[s] and O&M provider[s]
- Lead or support Lead Developer in EPC, OEM, O&M Contract negotiations and finalization
- Lead, supervise or assist in obtaining all inputs and assumptions required for a bankable financial model to be populated by the financial colleagues the firm.
- Support or lead Shareholder negotiations and agreements
- Lead or support Lead Developer in PPA negotiation and finalization
- Ensure that all project aspects meet investor compliance standards
- Prepare reports, updates and risk matrixes concerning project development progress for investor ExCo.
- Together with Construction Project Manager and/or Owners Engineer [OE] ensure construction budget and programme is adhered to.
- Together with Construction Project Manager and/or Owners Engineer [OE] ensure that the EPC Contractor, OEM, Vendors and/or service providers meet all their contractual obligations and requirements.
- Lead, support, guide and act as interface between Construction Project Manager and/or Owners Engineer [OE] and Investor.
- Prepare reports, updates and risk matrixes concerning project construction progress for Investor ExCo.
- Together with E&S specialist ensure that all environmental requirements as set out in the E&S plans are properly executed and applied.
- Together with E&S specialist ensure that all social, stakeholder, community and political engagement is implemented according to the various plans and strategies.
- Represent investor and/or the project SPV [as the case may be] in negotiations, talks and discussions that require Owner input. Escalate issues to investor management if necessary.
Requirements / Qualifications
- 5-7 years’ post-graduation experience, preferably in project management, early stage energy / infrastructure development, construction management. Exposure to project finance and/or private equity is a benefit.
- Civil, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering degree
- Knowledge of the project development and construction process
- Demonstrably commercially astute
- Resourceful and pro-active – self starter
- Fluency in English written and verbal is essential, French is a plus.
- Willingness to travel in the African region.
If this opportunity is of interest, please send your CV to Adam Wade on the below email address and a confidential discussion can be arranged.
Direct Line: +65 6340 1945
EA License No: 16S8303
EA Registration No: R1545636