|about 2 months ago
Title: Senior Grid Connection Engineer
Location: Brisbane or Sydney
About the Role:
We are working with a leading developer expanding rapidly in APAC and seeking a Senior Grid Connection Engineer to oversee end-to-end development. The position will be based in Brisbane and will report to the Head of Grid Connection
Lead the development of all power system modelling automation and software management tools with a specific focus on PSS/E for use across the Application to Connect (R0), Pre-Connection (R1) and Post-Connection (R2) grid connection phases.
- Prepare the PSS/E NEM snapshots based on various operational scenarios and inclusion of RUG packs for use in the R0 and R1 grid connection studies.
- Undertake all power system modelling and studies (in-house) during the R0 phase to achieve NER 5.3.4A/B approval and Offer to Connect execution.
- Undertake all power system modelling and studies (in-house) during the R1 phase to achieve AEMO Registration.
- Lead the development of GPS Compliance Assessment and R2 Model Validation Test Plans with inputs from EPC contractors, OEMs, NSPs and AEMO.
- Prepare and compile Hold Point reports during the R2 phase for submission to the NSPs and AEMO.
- Prepare and compile the R2 Model Validation report following completion of hold point testing.
- Undertake internal due diligence modelling of OEMs power system models (i.e., inverter and PPC) for in-house assessment to help inform the company on the pros and cons associated with each OEM.
- Lead and manage the negotiation of Generator Performance Standards (GPS) with NSPs and AEMO with in-depth power systems analysis and modelling as well as NER s5.2 knowledge, skills and experience.
- Lead and manage interactions with EPC contractors, Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), TNSPs and AEMO during R0, R1 and R2 project phases.
- Undertake PSCAD modelling investigations (with OEM support) to assist with the negotiation of key technical matters related to the PSCAD DD and FIA process of each Connection Application and Pre-Connection study package.
- Undertake PSS/E modelling investigations (with OEM support) to assist with the negotiation of key technical matters related to the PSS/E DD process of each Connection Application and Pre-Connection study package.
- Undertake harmonics assessments in PowerFactory for s22.214.171.124 compliance and have a baseline knowledge of harmonic filter design.
Work closely with OEMs on power system modelling matters across all project phases.
- Assist and support upgrades or modifications to generating systems in commercial operation.
- Assist and support with the negotiation of key Offer to Connect related terms and conditions, technical schedules etc.
- Keep abreast of National Electricity Rules requirements and changes, as well as any state-based or local grid connection requirements.
- Assist and support the technical department and other departments (i.e., Construction, Business Development, Investment, Legal, Operations and Planning) by providing grid connection expertise to them as required.
- Assist and support submissions to regulatory bodies in response to rule changes, new GPS and REZ access standards, new procedures etc.
- Assist and support grid connection-related aspects of emerging technologies such as grid forming BESS, offshore wind, liquid air energy storage and hydrogen.
- Assist and support discussions with OEMs for asynchronous generator technology such as solar/BESS inverters, PPCs, offshore/onshore wind turbines etc.
- Assist and support the education of internal stakeholders on asynchronous generator technology such as the differences between grid following and grid forming, design considerations for generating systems etc.
Minimum of 5+ years of experience
Technical / Professional Skills:
- Highly skilled user of PSS/E with proficiency in Python automation for grid connection studies.
- Sound understanding of NER Chapter 5, Schedule 5.2.
- Broad power systems analysis expertise relevant to asynchronous generating systems.
- Confidence to tackle complex engineering problems.
If you are interested in this position, please apply directly on the platform with your latest CV. We will review your application and revert promptly.
Keep in touch
If you would wish to keep up to date with the latest NextWave opportunities and industry updates, please follow us on LinkedIn.
Diversity is a core value at NextWave Partners, and we are proud to be partnering with equal opportunities employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.
NextWave Partners is the Recruitment Partner of choice within the Clean Energy, Sustainable Infrastructure, ESG, Impact Investment, & Climate Tech sectors. We are committed to supporting industries battling climate change towards a net-zero future and a sustainable economy.
NextWave Partners Ltd. (EA License No: 16S8303 - UEN: 201602833E)
Job has Expired