NextWave’s client is a leading US renewable energy developer, owner and operator headquartered in Colorado. They are developing a MW portfolio of over 4,800 MW of wind, solar and energy storage projects across the US. They are an owner-operator with expertise in all aspects of renewable power project development, permitting, power marketing, finance, construction and asset management. This company is a portfolio company of a reputable infrastructure fund that has over a history of successful clean energy investments and over 17 Gw of various renewable technologies.
This company is made up of wind energy industry veterans who are making a difference in our world. The team’s work ethic is second to none. They identify problems, create solutions, and deliver them professionally to our customers, stakeholders, partners and one another. We do the right thing when no one is looking because we are committed to our collective success and because we believe that our uncompromising integrity is key to the collaborative relationships that drive our business.
The Director of Transmission will serve as a strategic advisor to the Development and Mergers and Acquisitions teams in generation interconnections, transmission service and electrical engineering designs of multiple renewable energy and storage projects throughout the United States. We will trust your expertise in RTO/ISO requirements and your ability to effectively navigate them to support the expansion of our wind portfolio to include solar and storage investments.
The Director of Transmission will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Provide technical and strategic guidance to our Development Engineering team.
- Lead the interconnection process from submission of interconnection request to final commissioning tests.
- Direct the development of electrical designs for collection system, project substations and gen-ties.
- Direct interconnection, system impact, facilities, and SSR studies and resolve technical and schedule issues.
- Manage congestion analysis for our development projects in Multiple ISOs.
- Direct, interpret and apply company reports.
- Lead the scoping and procurement of consultants to deliver additional studies as needed (e.g., stability analysis, short circuit, injection).
- Support project financing by responding to financial parties during due diligence.
- Forecast, manage, and communicate transmission-related financial commitments.
- Oversee the generator interconnection process schedule: accomplishment of milestones and due date of deposits (refundable and no refundable)
- Oversee Engineering and Procurement agreements with utilities and ISO/RTOs.
- Supervise reporting of budget and cash commitments to the Accounting Department.
- Provide strategic insights about the transmission market and policy changes to inform and advance the Company’s investment decisions.
- Advocate for the Company’s interests with relevant electricity markets and industry groups.
- Research and report on transmission system developments projects (regulated and private) that benefit the Company’s portfolio and new projects.
- Participate in technical leadership committees to advance the Company’s interests.
- Cultivate a team of transmission specialists who excel in the performance of their roles while strengthening the Company culture.
- A BS in electrical or another engineering discipline
- 10+ years in transmission aspects of renewable energy project development – especially in wind with experience or interest in expanding to solar and storage
- Existing relationships with ISOs/RTOs (e.g., MISO, SPP, ERCOT, WECC, CAISO, PNW/BPA, PJM) and extensive experience with their interconnection processes.
- Experience negotiating with counterparties.
- Leadership roles within the industry – e.g., RTO/ISO working groups, committees.
- Team leadership within your prior organizations.
- Microsoft Office Suite, Google Earth.
- Preferred: Experience overseeing or working directly with the company’s models.
- Ability to travel as needed (minimal travel anticipated).
For a confidential discussion on this or any other opportunities available in the market, please contact Silas Mahner at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (929) 295-6707 (Direct Line)