NextWave Partners are working with a renewable energy investor and developer to identify a project manager to deliver a geothermal asset in Sub-Saharan Africa.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Project Manager to join a Private Equity backed renewable energy developer and make a truly significant impact to the energy sector in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Role & Responsibilities
- Assess, define interrogate project development budgets and programmes.
- Lead the development team on the ground in-country.
- Develop sound relationships with key project stakeholders at the national, local and utility levels, plus with project sponsors and shareholders
- Identify risks and lead the risk management and mitigation
- Support or prepare ToR for service providers & advisors
- Support or identification, appointment and management of service providers & advisors
- Together with the Lead Developer ensure that advisor inputs are sound and reflect all party comments accurately
- Manage and guide the Project Technical advisor on all technical matters
- Interrogate, scrutinize and assess the resource [feedstock] and assumptions and ensure with the Lead Developer, that a robust resource assessment forms the basis of the project final layout and production estimates
- Assess project site[s]; stakeholders; technical, social and environmental aspects; contracts, pricing and all other project components and highlight weaknesses, flaws or deficiencies in order to recommend improvements or mitigation.
- Support or lead commercial, technical, financial, legal and contractual work streams as agreed between Investor and the Lead Developer and where appropriate with the support of Investor staff, advisers and partners
- Supervise and guide the correct bid preparation, tender and evaluation process for EPC contractor[s], OEM[s] and O&M provider[s]
- Lead or support Lead Developer in EPC, OEM, O&M Contract negotiations and finalization
- Ensure compliance with all environmental and other permit requirements
- Together with Lead Developer, ensure all permits, approvals and permissions are obtained,
- Together with Lead Developer, ensure land security
- Together with Lead Developer, ensure sound land-owner, stakeholder and community relationship[s]
- Support or finalize and implement grid connection strategy
- Lead, supervise or assist in obtaining all inputs and assumptions required for a bankable financial model to be populated by the financial team
- Support Shareholder negotiations and agreements
- Lead or support Lead Developer in Feedstock negotiation and finalization
- Ensure that all project aspects meet Investor compliance standards
- Prepare reports, updates and risk matrixes concerning project development progress for Project Management Committee
- Lead, supervise and manage Feedstock plantation contractors, vendors , operators in ensuring that Feedstock Contracts and supply is ensured, stable and reliable once construction of the plant is finalized
- Lead, supervise and manage feedstock logistical operators, advisors and consultants ensuring a reliable, stable and efficient process is in place once construction of the plant is finalized
- Lead project to Financial Close for the Investors
- Together with Construction Project Manager and/or Owners Engineer [OE] ensure construction budget and programme is adhered to
- Together with Construction Project Manager and/or Owners Engineer [OE] ensure that the EPC Contractor, OEM, Vendors and/or service providers meet all their contractual obligations and requirements
- Lead, support, guide and act as interface between Construction Project Manager and/or Owners Engineer [OE] and Investors
- Prepare reports, updates and risk matrixes concerning project construction progress for Project Management Committee
- Assist, guide and supervise Construction Project Manager and/or Owners Engineer [OE] and OE team and ensure that OE Scope of Work is executed as agreed
- Together with E&S specialist ensure that all environmental requirements as set out in the E&S plans are properly executed and applied
- Together with E&S specialist ensure that all social, stakeholder, community and political engagement is implemented according to the various plans and strategies
- Represent the Investors and/or the project SPV [as the case may be] in negotiations, talks and discussions that require Investor input. Escalate issues the Project Management Committee and/or SPV management if necessary
- Manage, guide, assist and supervise SPV personnel or seconded personnel in their tasks concerning the project construction.
Requirements and Qualifications
- University degree in Civil, mechanical or electrical engineering,
- At least 7 years of relevant work experience developing and/or managing projects
- Prepared to live and work in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Prepared to travel in the African region
- Good communicator with ability to interact and communicate with a wide variety of cultures and stakeholders
- Experienced in negotiation and engaging with counterparties effectively
- Entrepreneurial and pro-active with the ability to function under stressful conditions
- Experience in the agro or forestry industry would be beneficial
- Languages: Fluent in English.
If this opportunity is of interest, please send your CV to Adam Wade on the below email address and a confidential discussion can be arranged.
Direct Line: +65 6340 1945
EA License No: 16S8303
EA Registration No: R1545636